Since 2003, the Center has had a longstanding relationship with Pennsylvania schools. By leading an annual healthy champions campaign (formerly nrg zones), the Center helps schools promote healthy eating and physical activity, and improves school environments to help students make healthy choices. Through the Healthy Champions Program, the Center provides programs and health education materials including:
- Four annual events promoting healthy meals, healthy snacks, and outdoor play (Apple Crunch, Go for the Greens, Move it Outside, and Walk to School Day)
- Lessons and activities on bike and pedestrian safety and walking to/at school
- Outdoor recreation lesson plans
- Growth screening implementation resources
- School wellness council resources
- Fact sheets, event planning guides, and promotional templates
- After-school nutrition education curricula
- School reports
The Program is free to all schools in Pennsylvania – public and private, K-12. Enrollment occurs at the end of each school year for the following school year.
School Champions who enroll each year will receive a welcome kit in the mail in September. This kit will include a web portal password to access available resources online. It’s not too late to take advantage of the many tools and resources available to schools.
For questions about the Healthy Champions Program or enrollment, please contact Ellie Hogentogler.