Try this family classic, made healthier with baked chicken and a yummy dipping sauce.
½ tsp reduced-sodium crab seasoning (or substitute ¼ tsp paprika and ¼ tsp garlic powder for a sodium-free alternative)
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
12 oz boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cut into 12 strips
2 Tbsp fat-free (skim) milk
1 egg white (or substitute 2 Tbsp egg white substitute)
3 C cornflake cereal, crushed
¼ C ketchup
¼ C 100 percent orange juice
¼ C balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp honey
2 tsp deli mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 ºF.
2. Mix crab seasoning, pepper, and flour in a bowl.
3. Add chicken strips, and toss well to coat evenly.
4. Combine milk and egg white in a separate bowl, and mix well. Pour over seasoned chicken, and toss well.
5. Place crushed cornflakes in a separate bowl. Dip each chicken strip into the cornflakes, and coat well. Place strips on a nonstick baking sheet. (Discard any leftover cornflake mixture.)
6. Bake chicken strips for 10–12 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 ºF).
7. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by combining all ingredients and mixing well.
8. Serve three chicken strips with ¼ cup dipping sauce.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.