Apple Crunch is not a “one size fits all” event. Activities vary from school to school, group to group, and even state to state. The following ideas provide a number of exciting ways your organization can participate in the festivities!
Apple Crunch Celebration Ideas
- Bring celebrations to the classroom. Organize a storybook reading of “Johnny Appleseed” and choose lessons that promote the importance of making healthy, easy snack choices.
- Host a cafeteria-wide crunch. Students and teachers can count down to take a bite of an apple.
- Coordinate fun challenges and games to increase physical education. Healthy choices include the decisions students make in eating and exercising.
- Partner with your local community organizations. They are a great resource to provide apples and promote apple crunching activities.
- Take a field trip. A local orchard, farmer’s market or grocer can provide a hands on experience to promote apples and apple products (applesauce, juice, and cider) as a healthy snack.
- Create a recipe share of apple related snacks and drinks. This is a great way to involve school administration, teachers, other staff, students and families.
Activities and Lessons from Pennsylvania Apple Marketing Board
About Apples (PDF files)
Apple-Related Lessons & Activities (PDF files)
Apple collage, puppet and finger paint
Apple life cycle maze
Apple number dots
Apple head doll; make your own dried apples
Apple word search
More apple fun worksheet
Coloring page: Commercial Harvest
Coloring page: Pollination
Coloring page: Good to Eat
Coloring page: Cider Making
Coloring Page: December through March
Coloring page: April through August
Coloring page: September through November
PA Apples Lesson Plans
Lesson Plan Companion Worksheets
Lesson Plan Companion Stationary