- 8 oz. whole-wheat fusilli (spiral) pasta
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- 1 large green bell pepper, rinsed and sliced in pieces 1/4 inch wide by 2 inches long
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, rinsed and shredded finely or sliced into small chunks (about 1 cup)
- 1 can (15 oz) low-sodium chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and cut into thin strips (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- For relish, combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a pan large enough to hold salmon steaks, bring water to a boil and add peppercorns, lemon slices, parsley, onion and bay leaf.
- Lower heat to a gentle simmer, cover and let flavors infuse for 5 minutes. Add salmon steaks and make sure they are covered with water. Add additional water if needed.
- Cook, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish is just tender. It will flake easily when tested with a fork. Never let water boil or fish will toughen.
- Divide the relish on four plates.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.