Penn State PRO Wellness is committed to educating and inspiring youth and their families to eat well, engage in regular physical activity, and become champions for bringing healthy choices to life.
We help Pennsylvania communities live healthier lives using evidence-based strategies for measurable and sustainable results. Our approach of Prevention, Research and Outreach provides schools, communities and like-minded organizations with program development and implementation, assessment and evaluation, capacity building, technical assistance, collaborative partnerships and access to proven wellness interventions.
A joint collaborative between Penn State College of Medicine’s Department of Pediatrics and Penn State Children’s Hospital at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, the Center has led statewide efforts to promote healthy eating and active living for youth and families. Our work has contributed to significant institutional changes statewide and has focused on several key areas:
- Providing informative and educational programs and materials to schools, youth and their families
- Collaborating with schools, communities, and like-minded organizations on projects related to promoting nutrition and physical activity behaviors
- Implementing research-based interventions in the school and community settings and disseminating innovative solutions and methods
- Obtaining funding and in-kind support for its work from foundations, industry and state/federal government sources
- Growing PRO Wellness Healthy Champions throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania